Thursday, July 22, 2010


For those of you out there who are up to here with Mel Gibson ad Lindsay Lohan , let’s talk North Carolina and its contemporary version of racial segregation. Oh, what’s that you say? You thought that was all taken care of 40-some years ago. Well, think again. North Carolina is quietly taking steps to re-segregate its public schools.

Here’s the short version: Wake County, county seat of Raleigh, NC, has a long standing policy of promoting diversity by balancing percentages of low-income students in area schools. Wake County originally bused children to keep schools racially balanced, starting in the 1970s. In 2000, the schools began using family income as the basis for diversity. Today, there is a movement afoot to go back (way back) to a system of neighborhood schools, in which students would attend the school closest to their homes. Critics of the proposed revamp point out that this policy will result in some schools being grossly overcrowded, and others half empty. But the bigger issue has to do with race – is Wake County hatching a clandestine plan to keep whites together in some schools and blacks in others? It would appear that way.

I’m from the sixties. People in my generation know from segregation. Until high school, I cannot remember ever talking to or interacting with a black person. In high school, out of a student body of about 1500, roughly 300 were black. The first time a black kid said something about his “crib,” I didn’t know what the hell he was talking about. Sitting behind a black kid in English class was culture shock. After a racial uprising in the cafeteria one day, my driver’s ed teacher said in class that the problem was that “negroes” didn’t “understand their place.” When black students occupied and took over a building on campus one day in protest of something or other, we were all put on school buses and taken home. As we frantically boarded the buses, the driver told us to all lean forward with our head between our knees, apparently to keep us from getting shot or something. The day after Dr. Martin Luther King was murdered, there was not a black face to be seen on the sprawling campus. The football coach was heard to say, “Enjoy this while you can, kids.”

So, as Wake County endeavors to turn the calendar back to 1968, consider this: Do we really want to dismantle the hard fought for progress that at least minimally homogenized our previously separatist society? Do we want new scenes of white men pulling black kids off of school buses? Do we want our kids to have my limited mid-20th century experience? It is highly unlikely that diversity in the American workplace will be slowed or cancelled. If a white kid grows up with kids who all look just like him or her, what happens when he or she goes to work for a black woman, or ends up competing for a promotion with a Hispanic guy? And, in this planned, segregated society, will our kids grow up to create segregated communities like the ones their misguided elders forced upon them?

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg, NC school system dismantled its diversity policy way back in 1999, favoring a neighborhood school system, instead. The result? The NC Department of Education reports test scores in Charlotte-Mecklenburg have consistently been lower than diversified Wake County. Are Wake County separatists about to create an under-performing student body?

Having lived through those sixties, I have to wonder what this is really all about. The cynic in me reluctantly believes that legislation does not a harmonious society make. So, even though landmark law was enacted in the 60s, racial intolerance is still rampant. Racism, in some ways, is bigger and “badder” than it was 40 years ago. Exhibit A, of course is President Obama, whose every move is scrutinized for racial bias. Exhibit B? Arizona. Enough said there. Know this: Wake County is not an enigma in an otherwise racially balanced 21st century America. Other cities, (such as Chicago) seem to be clandestinely moving toward re-segregation. Keep an eye on this…like everything else that happens among us, it is about you.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010


If you think you are getting the whole story about the BP oil spill and subsequent efforts to contain and clean it up, guess what: You’re not. In fact, the story has been stymied from all quarters since the beginning of this catastrophe. First, it was BP stalling the press from getting the whole story or photographing the unfolding tragedy. Now, the U.S. government has weighed in with unreasonably punitive new rules of its own.

U.S. Coast Guard Commandant Admiral Thad Allen, the National Incident Commander for the government’s response to the BP spill, has routinely been less than transparent about what is happening along the coast of Louisiana and surrounding areas. But now, his secrecy has taken a giant leap. Last week, Allen announced tighter restrictions on press coverage of the spill. The new rules invoke a 65-foot required distance from all animals, workers and equipment related to the spill. Violators will face fines of up to $40,000 and possible Class D felony charges. A Class D felony charge carries the potential of a jail sentence of up to 25 years. Admiral Thad Allen calls the 65 feet rule a “safety and security zone.”

Allen defends the new rule by saying local government officials have complained that there could be safety and security issues involved. So far, not one local government official has owned up to those concerns. So what is really going on here? Watch:

Add to this the fact that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has already imposed air restrictions that prevent planes from flying below 3,000 feet over the entire spill area. So, we are not allowed to see clear images from the sky or on the ground. How do you feel about that? Me? I’m not feeling too good about it. As I see it, my First Amendment rights are being violated by the U.S. government, and by BP, a public corporation. After Allen’s new proclamation, BP was quick to issue an open invitation to the media. Reportedly, cards went out from BP to 40,000 cleanup workers informing them that they can talk to the media if they want to. How interesting that BP believes it has the authority to give American citizens “permission” to speak to other American citizens. Arrogant would be an understatement. But BP evidently felt it needed to do quick damage control after the government effectively issued a media blackout. Good cop, bad cop, you might say.

BP’s new open policy toward the press apparently did not reach the security department of BP’s Texas City, TX refinery. Photographer Lance Rosenfeld, covering the spill for ProPublica was detained by a BP security officer, local police and a man who identified himself as an agent of the Department of Homeland Security. Listen to what Rosenfeld had to say about the experience:

What happened here is in direct violation of the U.S. Constitution. And if you think that this form of censorship is an isolated incident within our government, consider the new directive issued by Secretary of Defense Robert Gates. Back in February, Gates announced the Pentagon would lift the ban on coverage of dead military personnel, whose bodies routinely arrive at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware. That seemed like a step in the right direction. However, recently General Stanley McChrystal, senior military commander in Afghanistan, was relieved of his command after statements he made to a Rolling Stone Magazine reporter, criticizing President Obama. Very few Americans disagreed with the decision to replace McChrystal. However, after this incident, Gates imposed new restrictions on media interviews with military personnel. No interviews will take place now without first being authorized by the Pentagon. Again, this is your government controlling the flow of information from your military. As a reporter, I can only imagine the hoops one would have to jump through to get the Pentagon to approve an interview. Those hoops equal delays of information, which equals keeping the public (you) in the dark about issues that directly affect your life.

So, what are we citizens to conclude from the disparate Gates directives? Should we conclude that the Pentagon is okay with media coverage of the dead, but not comfortable with reportage about living military figures? And there’s more: Nothing was made public about the memo Gates issued regarding the new restrictions. The New York Times reports that the memo was funneled to the newspaper by a Pentagon official who was not authorized to release it. So, Gates, who has been repeatedly verbal about his determination to provide transparency and access to the press, evidently decided to restrict the media without even letting media organizations know about it.

Keep this in mind: Any time you lose a freedom in the country, you are not likely to get it back. We have already lost most of our right to privacy. Technology and cultural shifts intersected to cause that. Moves like the ones described herein threaten our freedom of expression. What’s next? Will private citizens be prevented from criticizing the President? Will oil spill cleanup workers be forced to sign confidentiality agreements? Will newsworthy photographs have to be approved by the government before they are made public? Every one of us, including the restrictors, loses when the free flow of information is interrupted or prevented. The national conversation and everything that informs it is critical to the democracy. The democracy may not be perfect, but the last thing it needs is arbitrary censorship.

Are you listening Secretary Gates? How about you, Admiral Allen? And how about you, citizens?